Saturday, September 8, 2012

"Lion King" at the Fabulous Fox

One of my favorite places to visit in St. Louis is the Fox Theatre.  The beautiful, historic building transports you to a different place and time, adding to the whole theater experience. 

Before Wicked a few summers ago.
JC and I's first trip to the Fox Theatre was to see the Phantom of the Opera.  We received tickets to the show as a wedding present.  This present turned out to be one of our favorite gifts.  We were both overwhelmed walking into the theater because of its grand, historic structure.  I was captivated by the show and atmosphere, and from that day, have made it a point to return to see a show every year since.

Inside the Fox Theatre.

For my Mom's birthday this year I decided to get tickets to the Lion King.  While growing up, Lion King was one of my favorite movies so I was very excited to see this highly-rated play.


Unlike other shows I've been to (Wicked and Phantom of the Opera) there were many kids at this show.  The show had amazing music and costumes.  Some of the actors portraying giraffes walked on stilts dressed in their giraffe costumes, while the lions had long masks attached to their outfits.  The play stuck to the plot line and really captured the essence of the movie.  Each time I watch a play I know no other play could be better, yet each time I return, the play is just as good as the last. 

You can't go to St. Louis without getting some good food and beer.  After the play we headed to the International Tap House in Soulard.  It is a fairly new establishment in Soulard, which features hundreds of beers from around the world.  I tried a Schlafly Pumpkin Ale which was delicious.  JC and my Dad recommended the Pumpkin Ale after hitting up the Schlafly Brewery while the girls went to the play.

After drinks, it was off to the Hill in St. Louis for dinner.  The Hill is an Italian-American neighborhood with some amazing food.  My parents had never been to the Hill before, so we took them to our favorite, and the oldest restaurant on the Hill, Rigazzi's.  My go-to dish is the baked lasagna and fish bowls of beer!



For a fabulous day trip, head to the Fabulous Fox Theatre for some great entertainment.  There are a few great shows coming up this winter, Wicked, Stomp, and Rent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment